- Award presentation to a local business who has had a significant impact on persons with a disability in an Employment setting
- An information fair featuring local businesses
- Performances by local artists with a disability
- A performance by Renfrew Educational Services Children's Choir
- Displays about disability services and organizations
- Art display and show by local artists
- Interactive user friendly sessions open and accessible to all ages and abilities including: Seated Yoga, Seated Fitness and Wheelchair Ballroom Dancing
The International Day of Persons with Disabilities was proclaimed in 1992 by the United Nations. The annual observance draws attention to the many ways in which those with disabilities enrich our communities. It also increases awareness and understanding of disability issues and trends, and helps to mobilize support for practical action at all levels by, with and for persons with disabilities. This year's theme is "Together for a better world for all."
The event in Calgary is one of many other celebrations taking place across Alberta, Canada and worldwide that brings together persons with a disability and the general community and aims to:
- Showcase the skills, abilities, contributions and achievements of persons with a disability
- Promote a positive image of persons with a disability
- Involve persons with a disability and the broader community in activities to celebrate and raise awareness of International Day of Persons with Disabilities.