What we believe (Principles)
for Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)
People should get enough money to live on when they have a disability and cannot get enough paid work.
- How you decide if someone gets AISH is based on clear rules and on the person’s life experience.
- Anyone who needs to get AISH should be able to understand the rules and what they need to do to apply.
- The government needs to work with us when they make changes to the AISH program. They need to be careful so people do not get hurt.
- AISH should be open enough that if you are able to be employed, it is easy to get and keep paid work and still get AISH support.
- AISH staff should have good training and understand disabilities so they can work well with people on the program.
- That people who apply for or receive AISH supports are human beings who deserve to be treated with dignity, compassion and respect.
- That when people with disabilities can do paid work, we work together to change the things in society that stop them from having a job or being part of the community.