Elections Calgary (the 5w's) Here are some new things we learned about the upcoming Calgary election. (Including free buses)
If you are here... you know why. And if you are not sure... that's ok.. we hope this information might help you decide.
How do I vote?
Learn about vote tools to help cast your ballot at the polls! Check out the "Plan my vote" for the Calgary Election
And check out this video on the vote assistance machine! that will be at the advance poll at a specific location to be announced in the near future!
Where do I vote?
Links to Elections Calgary website where do I vote using your address.
will need to be received by Monday, October 18th by 4 pm, for more information about the mail-in ballot process, visit this link
What is on the ballot?
1. City is looking at fluoride.
2. Provincial Referendum Information:
- The Red Deer news article here
- Recorded town hall about equalization (June 2021) hosted by Alberta Senator Paula Simons featuring economist Trevor Tombe; Eric Adams, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Alberta; Ken Boessenkool, professor of public policy at McGill University; historian Mary Janigan, author of the new book about the history of equalization, The Art of Sharing; and University of Alberta political scientist Jared Wesley.
- 3,271 people said are in favour of keeping it as is (MST all year round) due to economic concerns, light-related concerns, safety concerns, and out of step with other provinces. (However Premiere Kenney said in July 2021 now that Yukon got rid of it, BC is also exploring getting rid of it as most of the population lives in the South near the US border keeping the same time all year round pending consultation with US neighbors).
- 10,090 said to get rid of it due to many reasons such as health concerns, safety concerns, child-related concerns, animal-related concerns, economic considerations, and/or because they consider changing the clocks twice yearly as unnecessary.
- While 200 people were undecided, did not understand the question or said it is not the right question (as Alberta is in need of two different time zones because some of Alberta's population aligns better with Saskatchewan (UTC-7 time) and some of the larger cities align better with BC time (UTC-8 time), while northern cities like Fort McMurray would then have sunrises at 3 am.
- Calgary Climate Hub/Alliance for Common Good Candidate questionnaire
- Calgary Climate Hub Mayoral questionnaire
- Disability Action Hall recording of 27 candidates using a disability lens -Session 1 August 19th and Session 2 August 26th, 2021 (to find both links and timestamps from candidates go to our August 11th post
- Alberta Ability Network and Voice of Albertans Disabilities Mayoral Forum, Thursday, September 23, 2021
- Action Dignity and the Calgary Alliance for Common Good Mayoral Forum
- Poverty Talks asked questions and received 27 responses from Mayoral and Council candidates.
Media Interviews with Candidates:
- The Sprawl https://www.sprawlalberta.com/editions/the-election-edition-2021 also has upcoming forums for each ward
- Live wire has podcast interviews with each mayor and council candidate who was available to be interviewed
- CJSW interviews Mayoral Candidates forum from 4 pm to 6 pm on September 23rd https://www.su.ucalgary.ca/2021/calgary-municipal-election-2021/
- Cross Border Interviewers hosting wards on podcasts on different days.
- Global News Calgary will be facilitating a Mayoral debate on Wednesday, October 6th, 2021 from 5:30pm to 6:30pm, hosted by the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.